Dual Boosters?

Brakes discussion.

Dual Boosters?

by Banksy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:10 am

Hi all first post here,First off congratulations on a great forum with a heap of info!
I'm currently modifying an EH sedan, planned to be an "old school cruiser".(maybe trying to relive my youth!)
HR Disk front end,202, tripples,5 speed, lowered. retractable seat belts etc. Nothing outrageous.
I spoke to an Engineer this week and he is happy with my plans but also wants a dual circuit master cylinder.
I understand this is a common mod but with a manual I need to run a remote booster. Does any onerun boosted disks and non boosted drums?
I don't want to run 2 boosters and I'm concerned running a big solid cam I may not make enough vacuum to supply dual boosters
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Banksy

Re: Dual Boosters?

by Banksy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice Blur1.
What master cylinder do you run?
I'm looking at the XB or HQ just trying to work out which is smaller,either way I need to move the clutch MS a bit by the looks of it.
cheers Banksy

by Harv » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 am

Banksy,

The dual-circuit XA/B/C master can be made quite small by removing the Ford booster and replacing it with a Gemini one. There are a few tricks to getting this right (there are variants on the Gemini booster, and the pushrod must be extended). Its an old trick used in FB/EKs to clear the bonnet hinges, which I used to get dual circuit brakes in my V8 EK wagon.

Cheers,
Harv

by Banksy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks Harv that's exactly the sought of info I am after.
I'll have a look at the Gemini gear and see how it all fits together.
cheers
Banksy

by Harv » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Falcon/Gemini setup in my wagon:

Some good info on brake upgrades for early Holdens:
http://www.hoppers.com.au/stoppin%20holden.htm
http://www.hoppers.com.au/selection.htm

Cheers,
Harv

by Banksy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Blur/Harv,
Thanks for the help.
Looking at using the XB MS with remote booster to just the disk brakes and spacing the clutch MS out over the top of the mounting bolt for the brake MS to keep the setup as compact as possible.

I'll post some picks once I'm done to maybe help someone else.

cheers

Banksy