EH Wheel Studs

Everything else.

EH Wheel Studs

by Blue_Ute » Tue May 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Question for others (perhaps more experienced members)

Would it be possible to use 1/2 inch studs and tapered wheel nuts in place of the 7/16 inch standard items on standard EH or HR wheels. Or is this opening a whole heap of grief.

I tried to fit some LC Torana rims ( 5 1/2 inch as opposed to 4 1/2 inch) and standard studs were too short.

I have axles with 1/2 inch studs that I have used previously to run some Volvo mags on ( no problems with these as they are 1/2 inch tapered wheel nuts)

My view is they are both tapered and fit so should work????

Any advice welcomed

Blue_Ute

Re: EH Wheel Studs

by Lion64 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 pm

G'day, from my experience you need to ensure the taper on the nut matches the taper of the stud hole in the rim. I had a nasty experience many years ago and lost a wheel off a caravan due to the fact that I was using different nuts. The nuts came loose during travel and eventually unwound off the studFrom memory the rims were HT Holden and the nuts were from EJ/EH or perhaps FJ. I can't recall which but we knew the issue was to do with the different taper not enabling a locking action to take place.

Re: EH Wheel Studs

by Blue_Ute » Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Lion64
Thanks for your reply, will keep your experience in mind as I try to work out the easiest and safest way to mount these torana rims.

Blue_Ute