My long time V8 wagon project

Post up your finished cars or keep a running forum of you progress.

Re: My long time V8 wagon project

by 64v8wagon » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:06 pm

really need to wash the car
roam wasn't built in a day

by 64v8wagon » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:59 pm

Well big day today. The wagon went off to get the carby by sorted by a local dyno tuner. When that’s done it is off to Melbourne for engineering inspection :D

by 64v8wagon » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:03 pm

Forgot to mention I got an unregistered car permit and drove it legally on the road (only about 2 km). Oh what a feeling :D 8-)

by 64v8wagon » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 pm

Ok, just got the wagon back from the tuners. Was running rich as I suspected so that’s all sorted. The guy who did the work is an old school mechanic and was surprised at how good the car drove. Said he had to road test and what better place to go then the drive through bottle shop :lol: . Anyway by his calculations from the dyno run it is making (wait for it) an earth shattering 200 ish hp at the flywheel. Not bad for a relatively stock 253.

That makes me happy. Next stop engineering inspection in Melbourne.

by Harv » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 am

Good news. Good luck with the inspection.

I reckon their is still a fair bit of the 308 hotup gear from the 90's kicking around if you ever want to tickle the 253. Guys like MACE and COME Engines were making some pretty solid numbers out of NA motors.

Cheers,
Harv

by claysummers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:50 pm

Great news Anthony. I recall the standard thing back in the day was fit factory 308 intake and carb. You probably already did something similar if you are getting that many ponies.

by 64v8wagon » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:45 pm

Thanks fellas. Yes the motor is sporting a edelbrock duel plane, Holly 570 street avenger 4 barrel and a small tow cam. msd dissy but the rest is stock .020 oversize bore.Harv those guys are still making good numbers with their products but way out of my budget.

by Carpet56 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:31 am

Good on you. Looks like things are finally moving in the direction you want. I bet it felt good driving the old girl back home after the tune up. Good to see you have got plenty of power from the motor now. I'll just keep plodding along trying to pull that skin off the rice pudding in my hydra. Keep us posted mate.
Glenn.
There is always light at the end of the tunnel,if not turn around it's a cave.

by 64v8wagon » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:09 pm

:lol: Rice pudding. Thanks Glenn. Yes it was a great feeling driving on the road. I have a banging noise coming from the back, I suspect it could be the stabiliser bar. More investigation needed. I have a bit of a side project going to help get the wagon to Melbourne. I bought a “Jeep”. Now don’t yell at me, it was cheap V8 and not in bad condition. This is going to be my tow vehicle. My VE is not rated to tow that much, this has a 3.5 ton limit. Need to do a few things for reg. When it’s done I will book the wagon with the engineer for its first inspection.

Previous