My Peach

Post up your finished cars or keep a running forum of you progress.

Re: My Peach

by claysummers » Sat May 29, 2021 10:05 pm

Glen,
I’m in the process of getting my rebuilt 179 running. I just put some Morey’s oil stabiliser in the pump and filled the filter. Plugs out crank and idiot light out after a few seconds. Are you getting oil up to the lifters? Maybe a dud switch or short.

Other thing I did to try and get the cam well oiled was turn the motor on to the cam side and turn over by hand a few times. Cam gets its oil from crank splash so not recommended to crank over on the starter for too long.

These days the experts say don’t use molly grease in the pump, cam lobes or anywhere in the engine as it can clog up your lifters. Even the goo you get with a new cam, voids warranty if you don’t use it, they say don’t.
Cheers,
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Carpet56 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I will give it another go tomorrow by turning it over, i already have the plugs out but the pump doesn't look like priming. It is a new pump as well as the motor being rebuilt. Never had one that didn't prime within 10 secs or so. If it wont prime tomorrow it looks like i will be taking the pump off and checking it out. Will fill the gears with some oil and then oil up the rockers and give another go.
Cheers
There is always light at the end of the tunnel,if not turn around it's a cave.

by Carpet56 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:24 pm

Okay so I tried again today but still no pressure. Off with the new pump and checked it out to make sure all was well. Lookin good so I half filled the gears with petroleum jelly and oil. Bolted back to the motor then pumped oil into the sender unit hole after filling and screwing on the filter, as this is what jp website recommends. Never had to do that before but what the hey I'll give it a go. 20 to 30 seconds later the idiot light went out and all is well thank god. What a pain. Done about 7 or 8 motors over my time and never had this much trouble with a new pump. Anywho thanks to all for the info. Onwards and upwards, cheers.

by 64v8wagon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:37 pm

Hi Glenn, should have checked in earlier and may have saved you some time. I have always primed my oil pumps with a bit of happy fat (petroleum jelly to the un educated) and never had a fail. Especially Holden V8's. I did it to all my red 6 as well for peace of mind. Anywho good to see you are moving forward. :D
roam wasn't built in a day

by 64v8wagon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:35 am

you gone off trippin again?
roam wasn't built in a day

by Carpet56 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:11 am

Been a while since last post but after the oil pump issue i put the wheels back on and took it off the car stands for the big fire up. Didnt go to plan as the bugger wouldn't start, just gave one backfire and that was it. Checked tdc timing mark and gave another whirl, no go. Had a yarn to Doc and next day i was going to check the coil but it had spark. Back to tdc and took off the dizzy cap and i was 180degrees out. Bugger, spun the rotor , checked the points for gap etc, cap on and hit the key. Started straight up. You live and learn. Anyhoo, exhaust tomorrow and still waiting for my rims to be painted and then new tyres and then upholstery. Old mate doing it has been real crook so hopefully i will get the seats and door cards in the next few weeks. By the way, anyone out there know what size tyre to use on standard rims that ran 6.40 x 13 from the old days. The tyres on the car at the moment are retreads, hows that for retro. Til next time, soldier on.

by claysummers » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:29 am

Hi Glenn,
Great news on the fire up. Getting the timing right is always tricky when you've had the dissy out.

Bit of conjecture on the tyre sizes. 185 are popular and available, but marginally tg wise for the 4 1/2" rim width. None the less many seem to run them successfully. Most tyres tend to be low profile these days and taller profiles tend to be intended for trailer use, so light truck type construction, which are heavier and stronger but possibly noisy and less refined. You want the tallest profile you can get, 80 or 85 ratio.
Cheers,
Clay

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

by Carpet56 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm

Thanks Clay, i think i will take a wheel and tyre down to the tyre centres and see what they have to do the job. Dont want to go too low a profile and if i have to get the 185's i will just have to live with them. It wont be a racer just a cruiser being stock standard. I get on the goldwing to do some fast winding bits through the mountains here. My old workmate used to have a zephyr ute to do a fair bit of roo shooting and he used to fit winter tread tyres on the rear. Very noisy but good in the dirt, anyone remember them? If the speedo is too far out i will get one of those heads up gizmos that work off big brother in the sky. Spoke to my upholsterer this morning and he is recovering from surgery but hopefully i will be seeing some seats in the next month, fingers crossed. Just had a call from the exhaust centre so i will sign off and go get the old girl. Cheers.

by Carpet56 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:24 pm

Okay, got the old girl back on a tilt tray. Exhaust looks good and sounds good,quiet. 1and3/4 all the way using a HR muffler and stainless at the rear where you see it. Now for another question, is there anyone out there who has converted their hydramatic to a manual or trimatic and still have the original kickdown linkages from the firewall to carb and manifold and would be prepared to part with them as i reckon mine are too sloppy. Or alternatively if still being used maybe some photos of the setup. Being an old car maybe the bushy that owned it before me had played around with them as it looks like one linkage has been cobb & co'ed(bit of wire in the linkage). Looking at a image in the manual which doesn't show everything i don't think it is meant to be there(maybe a stop gap). Thanks in advance.

Previous