Switch EH panels back to EJ

Paint, bodywork and fabrication discussion.

Switch EH panels back to EJ

by Green_ute » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm

G'day. I've got an EJ ute that the previous owner did his best to make look like an EH. After driving it like this for 10 years I'm finally in a position to start to put it right. I'm just chasing some info on what panels etc required? The bonnet and grill are the obvious things but what about underneath like the radiator supports etc? I know some parts are unique and others are common to both EJ and EH but not sure which.

The radiator currently fitted is the narrow 149 style and it's hooked a tired 186. Even with the EJ panels fitted I'll need better cooling as the 186 cooks in traffic in summer. Does the EH 179 radiator support fit behind the EJ nose?

The fuel flap was also removed and a round EH cap welded in place. Would the simplest thing for this be to just get a cut from a wrecking EJ? I do have a fuel flap in the shed but no quarter panels.

I'm not in a huge hurry but want to start accumulating the parts necessary. Really appreciate any advice.

cheers

Pat

Re: Switch EH panels back to EJ

by Harv » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:21 am

Green_ute wrote:The bonnet and grill are the obvious things but what about underneath like the radiator supports etc? I know some parts are unique and others are common to both EJ and EH but not sure which.

The MasterParts 20 Year Catalogue (Master Old Farts Dogalogue) is a good place to start. It lists out many parts for various Holdens (up to HR). Where the part number is the same for EJ and EH, the parts are interchangeable. Where the part numbers are different, it gets tougher and you need advice from people who have actually tried to swap the bits over. The MasterParts lists a different radiator support assembly for EJ and EH.

Cheers,
Harv

by claysummers » Fri May 31, 2019 3:02 pm

G’day pat,
No expert here but I do know that the eh radiators were offset to the driver side from centre, and my suspicion is that gmh simply altered one side of the support and left the other as stock. I know this because my fb ute had an eh radiator crudely fitted when someone installed a red motor in it many years ago. I didn’t like this setup but since they had cut the panel with the oxy I chose to tidy up the opening and fit a HD - HZ radiator.

Many red motor conversions have been successfully cooled by the old grey radiator, and I wouldn’t be in any hurry to cut your nice original EJ panels. If cooling is an issue why not get the original tanks recorded with a heavy duty three row core and maintain some good ol’ EJ originality.

Just my 2c worth mate.
Cheers
Clay

by Green_ute » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. I know the EH 179 radiator was wider to one side but not the 149. I recall the guy I bought the ute off said he had acquired an EH wagon for parts and I suspect what I've got is a full front clip off a 149 EH. I'm happy to keep the radiator support and fit a suitable radiator into the existing space, just as long as the EJ grill etc will bolt onto it.