Dizzy gear oil squirter design change

Engine discussion.

Dizzy gear oil squirter design change

by Harv » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:04 am

I am getting closer to commencing the machining work on my meth monster project. The next step is to get the block bored out and sleeved, which will mean having to choose a block (I am fortunate to have a couple to choose from). The question is, which block to choose?

According to legend, the later blocks are the better choice as they have had less time to internally corrode than the early blocks. Probably made sense in 1970, but after fifty years I'm figuring even the later blocks will have corroded a fair bit. I reckon that by now the date of casting has way less impact on corrosion, and the main issue limiting corrosion would be how the block was used or stored. Block usage/storage is a crap-shoot - no way of knowing how most blocks have been treated over the last half century.

One thing that does stand out though is that at some stage GMH made a change to the oiling design. The earlier blocks had no oil directed to the area where the dizzy and cam gears mesh. This can lead to dizzy gear wear. Apparently GMH began casting (perhaps drilling) a hole in the cam bearing supply that directed oil to the area. I figure it would be a good feature to have, though apparently it is able to be done to earlier blocks by drilling a fine hole.

Does anyone know when GMH started this change to the grey motor oiling?
Are there any records (Accelerator, Service Bulletin, Workshop Manual etc) that documents the change?
How do you tell if the change was made to a given block?
How is the DIY version done - hole size, location, angle?

Cheers,
Harv

Re: Dizzy gear oil squirter design change

by Ray » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm

that's interesting regarding the extra oil gallery, i have never heard of that... roughly what year do you think it started?

by Harv » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 am

Legend has it that the cam oil gallery in all EJ blocks are drilled (or cast) with the squirter hole. Not sure though how far back it started - perhaps EK.

Cheers,
Harv

by EH Axiomatic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Not much into the greys Harv, but so far, the first it seems to appear in Accelerator is August 1961 , in the short motor ads. The ads before that don't mention the improved lubrication for the dissy.
regards Ax
Apprentice grey motor info hunter ;)
Attachments
Capture aug 1961 grey motor.JPG
Capture aug 1961 grey motor.JPG (123.9 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Dogmatic Axiomatic

by EH Axiomatic » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am

From the EJ manual , Engine Lubrication (see attached pic)
Attachments
Capture oil lube.JPG
Engine Lubrication Grey motor
Capture oil lube.JPG (111.05 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Dogmatic Axiomatic

by Harv » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:11 am

Many thanks - that's the exact info I'm after.

The dates would suggest that it was an EK design change that then carried over into EJ.

Hmmm.... might have to check some late "B" blocks and see if they have the 1/16th hole.

Cheers,
Harv