EJ EH Paint codes alternatives

Paint, bodywork and fabrication discussion.

EJ EH Paint codes alternatives

by Spaghettijet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:30 am

Howdy, I though I had already placed this post but now cant find it so I repost.
I went to the automotive paint supplier and wanted claremont green, they have no listing. does anyone know of a close match code for this or an alternative code used on later cars? Doesnt have to be exact as long as its close to those old holden pastal colours!

Re: EJ EH Paint codes alternatives

by Jebus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Do you have a sample they could color match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by nitrox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Look around for another supplier, sometimes it is all too hard for them.

by utility8 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 am

Yep, get a second opinion.

by Rob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Are you in Brissy ? Ive had some luck with "Brisbane refinish supplies" in Archerfield ... also took in my glovebox lid for a colour match.

by EH Axiomatic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:21 pm

What type of paint are you looking to use Acrylic or 2Pak?

Some of the manufactures or suppliers of paint just wouldn’t have had access to some of the codes / formulas that Holden would have used unless there was some collaboration.
I doubt a lot of European or smaller paint manufacturers would have them either and if they have them some may have been done by a matching process.
So the best thing to do would be go to back to the source of Holden paints.
A bit of Paint history Holden- Balm- Dulux etc
British Australian Lead Manufacturers Pty Ltd (BALM) was first established in Sydney in 1918. The company purchased the business of several existing paint manufacturers, including Adelaide's Australasian United Paint Company. In 1955 the company changed its name, becoming BALM Paints Pty Ltd. They were holders of the familiar registered trademark names like Duco , Dulux and Dulon.
The brand name Dulux has been used by both ICI and DuPont since 1931.
In 1964 BALM Paints Pty Ltd became BALM Paints Limited.
In July 1971, BALM Paints Limited changed its name, becoming Dulux Australia Ltd.
In 1997 Dulux Australia was divested from its parent company, ICI PLC and subsequently the Automotive OEM and Refinish Coating business was sold. It was sold to PPG.
After an exclusion period, Dulux released a new range of Auto Refinish products in 2005.
Dulux Australia launched two new product ranges to the market: Dulux AutoSpeed and Dulux AutoSolv. Dulux® AutoSpeed™
Dulux AutoSpeed products are a core range of premium 2-pack Basecoats and polyurethane Solid Colours.
Dulux® AutoSolv™ products are acrylic lacquer designed to be used for automotive refinishing.

Holden used Balm paints / Dulux as a supplier and used Nitro Cellulose Lacquers until the beginning of the introduction of the FB model when Acrylic Lacquers were then used.
Note: Nitro Cellulose Lacquers were still used on some commercial vehicles e.g. Bedford’s up into the 70’s.

New E type Acrylic Lacquers were introduced in 1968 and then around 1979-80 further improvement with the introduction of
the Dulon A Type Acrylic Lacquers used up until around VP commodore when I think Statesman’s were starting to be painted in a 2 pak.

I believe you are in Perth-It took a while for a Dulux Auto Refinish agent to resurface (pardon the pun) in Perth.
I was constantly looking on the Dulux website and it was not helpful and still isn’t !
So this is the Dulux agent you want …
MLB Paint Distributors
Unit 5, 211 Bannister Road
Canningvale WA 6155
Phone: (08) 9455 7522

In Perth, Amcap was a Dulux agent until the take over when they went to PPG. I don’t know if PPG took the Dulux formulae’s with them or kept them (they should have you would think)but you could give Amcap a try .

I know HI Chem (Motorspray) have Dulux formulas so look for one of their distributors. http://www.hichem.com.au/
I have used them and have a favourite paint supplier in Malaga.

Oh that’s right you were after Claremont Green. :)
The old Dulon acrylic lacquer formula for 566-4939 Claremont Green is as follows -
(tinters)
White ……………………46.4 parts
Green Blue ……………..3.2 parts
Permanent Green ….14.0 parts
Yellow Ochre..…………6.2 Parts
Reduced black ……….30.2 PARTS
………………………………= 100 parts

Note; this is the Old by Volume (float) formulae and not the by Weight formulae’s they use today.
Yes, the weights of the different tinters do differ!
But that will get you in the ball park -but really the Dulux agent above is what you want, unless you have a different brand preference.
Note different paint types and use different pigments / tinters and colour variation should be expected…….

Curious, what was the original Paint numbers on the Body /paint Tag ?
Dogmatic Axiomatic

by nitrox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Great bit of info mate thanks, I had some Saltbush Green mixed the other day and no greens went in at all.

It came out perfect on the car. :D

by EH Axiomatic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 pm

nitrox wrote: had some Saltbush Green mixed the other day and no greens went in at all.

Yeah funny that
Old formula
tinters
White ...............52 parts
Reduced Black.. 35 parts
Yellow Ochre ....10 parts
Red Blue.......... 3 Parts
Dogmatic Axiomatic

by comrad2007 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Lots of history well 8-)

by nitrox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:38 pm

yeah mate that's what he told me too, I said the blue and yellow there is the green it is spot on.

Next