Electronic Ignition EH

Electical (including engine management) discussion.

Electronic Ignition EH

by Garyt » Sun May 03, 2015 12:02 am

Seeking some guidance form all you EH people out there. Im thinking of upgrading my distributor to electronic and get rid of the points set up. Ive seen a couple of options out there and hoping someone out there may have done this already and help steer me in the right direction. Option 1 upgrade my existing distributor with a modification that apparently is a straight swap and sits in place of the points - apparently this method you can tell from the outside that the distributor is electronic - Option 2 - Buy a complete electronic distrubutor - Any guidance would be greatly=y appreciated. Thanks Gary

Re: Electronic Ignition EH

by Rob » Sun May 03, 2015 11:47 am

Please elaborate Blur1 , im in the same position having almost completed a motor rebuild (red 6 ) I was looking at MSD .... havent heard of ice ? as far as dizy,s go. Had some experience with modified original distributors in my younger days but from memory they werent all that good .. but that was a long time ago.

cheers

by BrennoEH » Sun May 03, 2015 2:58 pm

I've gone with your option 1 twice, elec moduled a stock dizzy, fantastic result and still looks factory

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-EH-HD ... 232922890e
Attachments
$(KGrHqUOKooE6eMQO,4dBO)EuWSfow--60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqUOKooE6eMQO,4dBO)EuWSfow--60_57.JPG (193.7 KiB) Viewed 9113 times

by Rob » Sun May 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Looks similar the hall effect sensors we used to use on recycled points .. was a bugger to get the sensor clearances correct .. think from memory is was a diy in electronics australia mag .. mind younthat one looks a bit more robust Brenno than back in the day.

by Garyt » Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies - the system shown by Brenno is what i have seen on ebay as well, but its not that much cheaper than buying an electronic dizzy. Only difference i can see is the retro fit doesnt look out of place if your looking for original.

Will look into the Ice ignition.

Thanks Again.

by Rob » Thu May 07, 2015 9:28 am

$100 plus dollars for a $3.40 hall effect sensor plus postage .. bit rich for me ... but i guess your also paying for it already being mounted on points base and you get a nice round magnet to boot ??? Anyone tried the $340 complete dizzy thats suposedly an MSD replacement on evil bay ? did ask the seller who made it but havent had a reply yet.

by Harv » Fri May 08, 2015 9:05 am

blur1 wrote:yeah, an electronic 'eye' is really nothing more than timing the spark.
it does nothing to boost it.

The Hall effect replacement kits can boost spark, but usually don't. They do it not by increasing volts/amps, but by increasing dwell. I took a good look at the grey motor kits over here:

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=20727.
... it was supposed to be a magneto thread, but I keep getting distracted - I have the attention span of a goldfish :oops:

The replacement kits are heavily dependant on the air-gap between sensor and magnet. The early Petronix Ignitor I modules are fixed dwell, and return little better than a standard grey (testing of two modules shows 33.6º@0.040” air gap and 27-28º@0.050", against standard GMH grey motor dwell of 35º-41º). The later Ignitor II modules had dwell extension built into them.

All up, if you are buying just for reliability or to avoid playing with points, the Hall effect kits are good value. If you want more grunt, start asking the supplier questions about how much dwell is delivered.

Cheers,
Harv

by utility8 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Consider a Commodore distributor? I've fitted one to my red motor with black head & injection. Set & forgot.

by EH_Wagon179 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 pm

The ICE unit was featured in street machine or similar about 10 years ago, and was a modified Bosch HEI unit.

They are good to deal with, and you can also get an inline voltage booster and a variable advance curve box.

Having said that; a standard Bosch HEI from a blue motor commodore with Bosch HEC 716 epoxy coil and 9mm ignition leads would meet almost all performance requirements and leave Brocky's '72 Bathurst winning points dizzy for dead. Fit a new module and drive gear and it will give long service.

If you have a modified head and cam; go for the part number ending in 720 which is the VK black Motor EFI dizzy (not carby CAS).