Fuel Pump Requirements for 3.3 EFI Motor

Engine discussion.

Fuel Pump Requirements for 3.3 EFI Motor

by Lion64 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 am

I am installing a VK Commodore straight six 3.3 motor with EFI into my EH Ute and I would like to know if any one has experience with the fuel requirements. I have seen that the VK Commodore often has a petrol pump in the tank as well as a in line pump and I would prefer not to have to modify the EH petrol tank to take the internal pump and therefore run just one pump. I have seen two EH's with above motors and they do not have an internal pump in the tank. Both these cars had the fuel regulator at the end of the injector rail removed and were running after market computers. My EFI motor will be stock and the computer will also be stock. I do need to run a return line back to the tank and believe that 5/16'' pipe is suitable for supply and return lines. Do you think the standard VK Commodore in line pump will develop enough pressure (303kpA ie 21 psi)? Any comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. Regards Peter Lenthall

Re: Fuel Pump Requirements for 3.3 EFI Motor

by utility8 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi Peter, I had an injection set up as you're setting up.
I used a later model in tank pump, which required tank mods, but the finished job I reckon is preferred simply due to less plumbing under the car from a lift pump, to a pressure pump & a swirl pot. Fuel gauge calibration is also a relatively simple mod done to the factory assembly which is integral to the pump system.
As you mentioned, a return line is required which I had in my system. 5/16" is adequate so you can even use most of another fuel line simply running next to the original one. The regs on the factory injection are all I used as well.
Here is the link on this forum which may assist with a few things.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6535&hilit=wrs
I've only recently removed the motor only for a V8 upgrade, you'll be very happy with it once up & running.
Regards, John McBride.

by Lion64 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:31 am

Hi John, nice to hear from you again. Thanks very much for the reply. I have just finished reading all 36 pages on the thread link you supplied. There was some great stuff in it and I enjoyed the humour.
On another subject, I would like to chat further to Peter S (Hell) re some details I have about date codes on EJ/EH steering columns so can you email his address to me. I think I will release a paper on my findings but need to check further to see what is known about the stampings. He was doing the database register and hence may be able to answer some queries I have.

by utility8 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 pm

If you search members, Pete's user name is: peter_ejeh
Send him an email.